Thursday, July 12, 2012

Meeting other Learning Pros PT1 AIN Bay Area

I love meeting other people who share my passions. I'm sure I'm not alone in that, It must be why so many professional groups exist, and why people go to watch the Chicago Cubs even though they never win anything (but that's another subject)

Now I'm settling in my new city I'm looking for these sorts of people and I know just where to find them.
So this week I got the chance to attend two meetings.

On Tuesday evening I joined other passionate about applied improvisation and attended the Bay Area AIN chapter meeting. At that meeting Rich Cox and William Hall facilitated a session on debriefing and handling difficult participants. (in the world of serendipity, almost as I typed those words my e-mail popped up with a message from the Bob Pike group with virtually the same title- freaky!)  They were using techniques that they had learned from Thiagi. they are both certified to teach Thiagi's 1 and 3 day classes. Regular readers will know how much of a fan I am of Thiagi and his work around Rapid Instructional Design and it was a pleasure to see two master practitioners at work using it.

The evening started off with a warm up game based on a game developed by Augusto Boal and learned by Rich at the AIN conference in Amsterdam a couple of years back when Adrian Jackson was our special guest.
We briefly debriefed that one and then went on to the main part of the evening where went through a simple activity and then debriefed it. We then debriefed the debrief.


Meta Debrief
--------------
Debrief
--------------
Activity


At an AIN event or whenever training trainers or facilitators this is a common pattern.

Rich and William worked through 6 questions in the structure of the debrief.
  1. How did that feel?
  2. What happened?
  3. What was learned?
  4. How does it relate (to.....)?
  5. What if.....?
  6. What is next?
There was some discussion about if #1 and #2 are interchangeable. I had always learned to debrief the facts before debriefing the feelings. William pointed out that close to 90% of the answers to 'How did that feel?' from our group (who are improvisers and facilitators, so happy to talk about feelings) were actually answers to 'What happened?'

There was also discussion about how this related to Kolb's learning cycle and the Kirkpatrick 4 levels.

After a brief break for snacks we went into part two where following a Thiagi designed structure they facilitated a discussion on difficult participants. Using this structure, we the learners, came up with a long list of types of difficult participants, decided which were the ones we thought were most worth coming up with strategies for, came up with strategies and decided which ones would be most likely to work. All of this was done without and 'content' input from the facilitators (or virtually none) but under their guidance and withing their structure.
Thiagi refers to this approach with two of his RID principles
Build the plane while flying it
Let the inmates run the asylum

As this has taken me far longer to write up than I planned I'll close off here and share my experiences at the Golden Gate Chapter of ASTD chapter meeting in a follow up posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment